Sunday, August 8, 2010

My Realities

My school is a charter school located in an urban environment, with students who already come in with unique challenges which set them apart from all other students. The challenges become our barriers from achieving the ultimate goal of student success. We strive to close the achievement gap which our students bring with them, however many of their behavioral needs at times do come in the middle and hinder us from focusing primarily on academic achievement. Our focus is always on academics, however we also have to play the roles of parent, social worker, therapist, and teacher all at the same time. Although these barriers do exist, we don't allow them to become excuses for us to not challenge our students to achieve. Our students especially can't afford for us to allow the barriers to get in the way of their future successes and potentials.

Through this blog activity I've learned a whole other side of technology. So many times I am constantly searching for information, this activity gave me the opportunity to share my own knowledge and thoughts with other educators.

1 comment:

  1. Mona, I feel your pain. I too teach in an urban environment. With our children being raised predominantly in an extended family environment, this creates a lot of excess soial baggage for our children to bring to the table of education. I agree, while it is not an excuse it is a reality. Mona, if you or I knew the answers on how to alliviate this situation we would co-author a best-selling book and not have to worry about blogging anymore :)

    ReplyDelete