Sunday, August 8, 2010

Evaluation and Assessment

Evaluation of students learning should be taking place at all moments of the instructional period. Teachers use both formative and summative assessments to monitor student growth, however formative assessments are more frequent so that adjustments can be made easily to instruction based on the data gathered from the assessments. Most individuals think of tests when the term "assessments" is mentioned, however assessments come in a variety of ways: exit tickets, quick use of individual white boards with a question posed, observation of student learning with the use of check-off form, etc.... The two most important pieces to assessing is what comes after: 1. gathering the data from the assessments, 2. giving feedback to the students based on the data gathered. The teachers within the district not only incorporate these two techniques to adjust their own teaching practices, but to also make students aware of their own learning and hold them responsible for their own progres. This absolutely makes for students who then constantly reflect upon their approaches to learning and achievement.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you said about providing feedback to students. I was one of those kids growing up that wanted to know how and where I stood as far as my grades. I took full responsibility for my grades and was highly motivated. Even at the preschool level, I provide feedback to my students, either as a group or individually. For example, one of my quick literacy assessments is picture naming. I construct a graph and each quarter the children color in the number of pictures there were able to name. This way they are able to see their progress made!

    ReplyDelete